Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Out came my old but favorite pens!

It had been along time since I had seen and or used my favorite pens.
I wasn't sure if I would know how to use them again.
When I first started painting I went to the Las Vegas Painting Convention and met a fabulous artist named Susie King. 
 Loved her art work.  She did most of her outlining with the Koh-i-noor Rapidograph pen.
I took the plunged and bought this pen (and more to follow soon there after). 
It was a tad frustrating at first due to my heavy handed painting style but if used gently these pens are a dream to use. 
Yesterday I decided to be brave and pull these pens out and try a Susie King pattern on a surface I have had for as long as I have not used the pens--forever. 
I must admit it was FABULOUS to try it again.  This little box is one of  four I painted.  
Two with yellow roses and two with pink roses. 
Then it dawned on me that the last time I used these pens and a Susie King pattern was in 2004.
My brother and sister-in-law had twins girl in 2004.  
They had Twin-to twin Transfusion Syndrome  and only lived for a little less then a month.  
It was a very difficult time for our family.   
At that time I belonged to a Las Vegas Chapter of Decorative Painters and we would paint Memory boxes for families who lost small children at or around the time of the birth.  
We would paint boxes and delivery them to the Neonatal Pediatric ICU so families could put mementos of their child in the box. 
I decided to paint a larger box for Betsy and Paige for their parents to put their mementos in after they passed on.  
They were born together and died with in minutes of each other. 
 I decided it was appropriate to make one box for the cute little loving sisters.
 I did not get to meet them. 
 I happen to be in Phoenix at the Society of Decorative Painters National Convention when I got the news they had passed on.
I had planned to fly to Utah to meet them but ended up coming for their funeral. 
It was a bittersweet day for me.  
Thinking of my nieces knowing they are in a loving place with other family members who have passed and are watching out for them. 
Then enjoying the learning curve again with these pens and revisiting patterns from one of my favorite artists.
I think I will be using these pens a bit more often!
Enjoy your day,
Barb

5 comments:

  1. Such a loving story about the babies. I know they are the sweetest angels now in Heaven.
    Your newest works of art are just gorgeous and they so "Pop" with the outlining.
    Hope you put some of these on Etsy. They will fly away...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow Barb that is so touching! Brings tears to my eyes. How sweet of the group to paint little memento boxes for the families. That's just something I've never thought of before but such a sweet gesture and of course the hand painting is an added bonus! That had to be a tough time for your family, I can't imagine losing two like that.

    Thank you for sharing this personal story, know that I'm thinking of you today my friend~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful work! I have one of those pens and I loved using it when I was painting.
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  4. How beautiful! You paint so good! My painting consists of the big paint brush on the outside of the house! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww, that's so sad. I'd never heard of this syndrome. Yes, use these pens in your nieces memory.

    Hugs~Carol

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to share your commments!!
Enjoy your day,
Barb