Wednesday, February 29, 2012

An Extra Day this Year!?!

Leap Year
We get an extra day this year!!  What do you have planned?  For me it will be like every other day?!?!

Leap Years are needed to keep our calendar in alignment with the Earth's revolutions around the sun.
It takes the Earth approximately 365.242199 days – or 365 days, 5 hours, 48 minutes, and 46 seconds (a tropical year)– to circle once around the Sun.
However, the Gregorian calendar has only 365 days in a year, so if we didn't add a day on February 29 nearly every 4 years, we would lose almost six hours off our calendar every year. After only 100 years, our calendar would be off by approximately 24 days!
The reason I know this?  Because my son is studing Astronomy for a Merit Badge.  My, the things you can learn when you have too. 
Hoping every one will ENJOY their extra day because it will not come again for another 4 years!
Barb

2 comments:

  1. Hi Barb! Happy Leap Day! Today I think will be like every day--crafting and spending the day with my family--lovin every minute of it!

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Barb, this is so cute... I love it :-) I love astronomy too. Kudos to your son! Although like you, it'll be just another day to me.
    Hugs~Carol

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to share your commments!!
Enjoy your day,
Barb